Friday, December 9, 2011

yes...ma'am

So I was left feeling rather confused the other day when I asked my kids a question and they all responded in unison "yes ma'am"!  I found myself taking a double take and for a moment replaying what I had said and the tone that I had said it in to see if I had in fact come across as being a ma'am!  However I had asked them a simple question and my tone was I thought reasonably neutral.   

So then I smiled and realized that the public school system was having an impact.  The teachers all request that the children respond "yes ma'am" when being asked a question of.  In many ways I am relieved that the kids have picked up on this, as we are wanting our kids to be like little shining lights down there at the school (showing an extraordinary amount of grace and love to those in the playground, lunch room and classroom), however it's not much good if they're on the other hand being rude and disrespectful to the teachers by not using the appropriate expressions.

I go down to the school every tues and thurs for 1/2 hour and read with the kids in Sam's class.  When you ask a child if they would like to read to you, there is nothing more sweeter than seeing the child look up at you and say "yes ma'am".  If any parent were to ask Sam if he'd like to read to them he would no doubt say "yes".  He would not know their name to use their name and therefore he would be left saying "yes" period.  For some reason using the two words ma'am and sir seem to complete the response.  You may or may not agree if you have not experienced a culture that uses these expressions but it is starting to catch on for me and i like it.  All family and friends beware...our kids will without a doubt call you sir or ma'am at some point in your lives.  And maybe even I might too!!  It's weird (I know) but adults use these expressions too when responding to children and to other adults! 

Sonia xo